I represent clients in entertainment industry transactions. I assist musicians, managers, producers, actors, photographers and models with all aspects of their careers.
Core Services: evaluate business opportunities, structure deals and review and negotiate all types of contracts. I form entities and draft bylaws and operating agreements. I foster my clients’ long-term creative vision and productivity.
Recent representations: Music licenses for French’s mustard. Production Agreement for a hip hop music label. I am defending a rock band in a multi-million dollar breach of contract lawsuit.
I advise corporate and individual copyright owners on all aspects of copyright law under the 1909 and 1976 Acts, related amendments and treaties. I draft licensing and rights acquisition agreements for copyright owners and users.
Clientele: authors, artists, illustrators, photographers, musicians, composers, songwriters, tech programmers, directors, designers, copyright-using companies and their executives.
I provide advice and counsel about trademark rights acquisition, maintenance, and preservation. I conduct clearance searches, prepare and file applications for registration and responses to USPTO office actions. I send and respond to cease-and-desist letters, have experience in anti-counterfeiting and infringement litigation, and have worked on dozens of opposition and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trials and Appeal Board (TTAB). I am versed in the TTAB’s niche procedural rules.
• Numerous federal trademark registrations obtained
• Trademark counsel for a $25M international confections company
• Trademark counsel for importer of Spanish artisanal beer
CONFLICT RESOLUTION, RIGHTS ENFORCEMENT, AND LITIGATION
Clientele: business owners, artists, musicians, executives, and employees.
I provide advice and counsel on rights enforcement, conflict resolution and all phases of litigation.
Whatever your controversy, parties should avoid litigation. I approach conflict resolution with a view to compromise, without compromising our ability to litigate effectively later.
However, when your rights are willfully trespassed the most effective response may be swift, deliberate and compelling. While no result can be guaranteed, if retained I will analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your case and proceed in consultation with the client to achieve the desired result. Usually the leverage available to be applied against a particular adversary will reflect the given facts and the strength of a client’s existing rights.
- I cured a $14,000 breach of contract in eight hours, basing my strategy on empathy with the adversary. The breach cured, that rare item now sits in its new home in Finland and both parties avoided the cost of litigation.
- Counsel in a matter where the United States filed a position statement regarding an issue of first-impression; the matter settled privately prior to appellate review.
- Counsel in a multi-party litigation involving highly adversarial members of a $30,000,000 community association.